In Advance of Surgery
Pre-Operative Phone Call
Our staff will attempt to call you 1–3 days before your scheduled surgery. If we are unable to reach you, please call 650-988-7997 to hear a recorded message of pertinent information.
Transportation and Parking
Arrange in advance for an adult to drive you home and stay with you for 24 hours following surgery. If you have young children, arrange in advance for their care as well. You may take a taxi if an adult accompanies you, or you may arrange a ride one week in advance with RoadRunners by calling 650-940-7016. Parking is free and available in front of the Surgery Center, underground on North Drive, and in the garage at the end of North Drive. Please do not park in restricted spaces. Handicap parking is available in front of the surgery center with curb access for those with assistive needs.
Medications and Allergies
If your doctor gives you a prescription for pain medication, it is best to have it filled prior to your surgery. Please let your doctor know if you are an insulin-dependent diabetic or have latex allergies.
Food and Drink
Your doctor will instruct you to do one of the following:
- Adults and children more than two years old should not eat food/solids (including gum and mints) up to 8 hours before your procedure. You may have clear liquids up to 6 hours before your surgery. Clear liquids include water, fruit juices without pulp, 7-Up, ginger ale, and coffee or tea without milk.
- Infants one-two years old should not eat solids or drink formula up to 8 hours before surgery. Clear liquids (including breast milk) should be encouraged up to 4 hours prior to surgery to keep the patient hydrated.
- Infants younger than one year old may have clear liquids (including breast milk) up to 2 hours before surgery to keep hydrated. Do not offer formula up to 8 hours before procedure.
- Colonoscopy and upper endoscopy patients should follow the specific prep instructions provided by your doctor.
- Patients undergoing a pain medicine procedure who require sedation should not eat solid food, but may drink clear liquids up to 6 hours prior to your procedure.
Check with your doctor in advance regarding which dietary instructions apply to you. All patients should refrain from smoking after midnight the night before surgery.