Managing Your Pain
It is important to us that you are as comfortable as possible. Good pain relief can help you be more active and promote your recovery. We suggest that you “stay ahead of your pain” by taking pain medications as your physician prescribes. When pain medication is taken correctly, your pain is more level and manageable and you will avoid a rebound effect.
What can I do to get good pain relief?
- Openly talk to your doctors and nurses about your pain
- Point to where the pain is located
- Describe how the pain feels: aching, throbbing or burning
- Rate your pain on a scale of 0 to 10, with 0 meaning no pain and 10 the worst pain you could
- To understand our pediatric patients, the nursing staff may use the graphic below to provide
comfort and relief: